"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." — E.B. White

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Am I the only one?


I adore everything about Christmas
in theory.
In practice it's not much fun.
There. I. said. it.
I snarl at my kids for singing carols (everything) too loud.
I gripe about all surfaces the table being buried under piles of gifts n wrappings.
I crave PEACE and quiet.
I recognize the situation and tell my children that I'm sorry I'm so tired and actually FEEL very BLESSED to HAVE so MANY for whom I want to express LOVE & appreciation...
but really, It's ALL just TOO MUCH for me.
Am I alone????

Our house is actually *very* small.
It becomes submerged in Christmas crap things.

I want less things more thought.

This helped.


so did our evening at the Kennedy Center  listening to beautiful music with my son on my lap and husband n daughter either side...
Followed by a wonderful evening catching up with my city family.

 Just wish these guys were with us...


I actually surrendered and slowed my baking and handed out a few of these instead.
I must say, they were very well received!


I even scaled back on my decor when I pulled out my vintage suitcase full of Christmas kitsch.


But I must admit that our Elf's antics are still a highlight of the season!
A purely fun family tradition.
Clayton made Jack's buck into Rudolf

He spelled out "Be good, xoxo Clayton" but letters were too soon gobbled

Clayton made a snowman n brought cocoa in Elf mugs

Clayton wanted to be a satr

He wants to be in on the music making too!


From the first time I heard this more than 20 years ago in church, I've held these words as a reminder for the season...

“Lord, let not our souls be busy inns that have no room for thee or thine,
But quiet homes of prayer and praise, where thou mayest find fit company,
Where the needful cares of life are wisely ordered and put away,
And wide, sweet spaces kept for thee; where holy thoughts pass up and down
And fervent longings watch and wait thy coming.”
- Julian of Norwich (1340-1426)

I printed this out to remind me where to focus

This WILL be my focus in the New Year.

So... ???


Wishing you all more JoY and PeAcE!

1 comment:

Janettessage.blogspot.com said...

I am with you...on this.
You still have the most fun! I love it.
I think of you each morning when I enter my kitchen. I pray for you and think...I would enjoy living near her.
Blessings to you and a Merry Christmas. Maybe one day our paths will cross this side of heaven.
May 2014 bring all you have prayed for.